Wednesday 3 February 2010

Berlin! Berlin!


I am off to Berlin next week to attend the Berlinale, one of the world's biggest festivals and a huge market. The official programme was released yesterday. Some of the highlights include Polanski's THE GHOST WRITER, Noah Baumbach's GREENBERG, Scorsese's SHUTTER ISLAND, Winterbootom's THE KILLER INSIDE ME, Banksy's EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP and Lisa Cholodenko's THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT.

Not to mention a special screening of Lang's METROPOLIS and some networking events I have been invited to by CICAE. I'm quite looking forward to it. I expect to run into plenty of UK exhibitors and distributors too.

I visited Berlin once in 1992 when I was just 16, and it was a very strange place, still a divided city in many respects. I gather it's quite the European capital now. Some of the European exhibitors I met in Venice last summer will be there, and some of us have rented an apartment - so the immersive quality of the experience will be complete, living and breathing cinema. I shall be blogging with reviews of films and events, and pictures. Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. It would be interesting to compare your experiences in Berlin to my husbands's who went there as a clarinet-playing National Service bandsman in the late '50s(even I was a child then!).This was before the wall was built,and he and his mates regularly went beyond the Brandenburg gate to the East to watch films and to eat-economics!I think the shops all close on Saturday afternoons even now

    Jennifer Seat A9

    ReplyDelete