Monday 24 May 2010

Cannes Round-Up


The Cannes Film Festival is over, and although I was neither there nor did I follow the news (as I was on a well-deserved holiday in Barcelona), I have walked into work today to find that the Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul won the coveted Palm D'Or, beating top notch world-class filmmakers Abbas Kiarostami, Ken Loach and Mike Leigh. His film, UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, should now find a distributor in the UK (an unlikely event for a film with a title like that).
Juliette Binoche won best actress for Kiarostami's CERTIFIED COPY and Javier Bardem best actor for Inarritu's BIUTIFUL. The Grand Jury prize went to OF GODS AND MEN.
Next year I promise that the reports from Cannes will be much more exciting, as I will be there....

No comments:

Post a Comment