Tuesday, 21 July 2009
Films I'm Looking Forward To This Year.
This is by no means comprehensive and may include things that end up being released next year, and is organised in order of release, not preference. It also includes some very embarassing titles.
- Aug 28th: BROKEN EMBRACES. Almodovar has never dissapointed me, and I could look at Penelope Cruz for hours.
- Aug 28th: FINAL DESTINATION 3D. I love this series, and I love 3D. Perfect.
- Aug 28th: HURT LOCKER. Kathryn Bigelow is awesome.
- 11 Sep: THE THING. Digital re-issue of Carpenter's classic. I've never seen this on the big screen, so yes. Most definitely a late show at the Dukes.
- 18 Sep: AWAY WE GO. I think Sam Mendes is a poor director, but Dave Eggers wrote this. So its all good in my book.
- 16 Oct: IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS. Gilliam's return to pure fantasy. Hope it's more Munchausen than Fisher King.
- 23 Oct: THE FANTASTIC MR FOX. Wes. Anderson. End. Of. Story.
- 13 Nov (although this will probably move to January) THE ROAD. From the guys who brought you THE PROPOSITION, Dukes' members John Hillcoat and Nick Cave. Oh, and Cormac Macarthy (he's not a member though).
- 11 Dec: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. This was my favorite children's book, and Spike Jonze directs. Dave Eggers wrote it, so again, all good.
- 18 Dec: AVATAR. History-changing cinema or the new PHANTOM MENACE?
Things I have no idea what the dates are: Miyazaki's PONYO, Malick's TREE OF LIFE, Chomet's THE ILLUSIONIST, and (most bizzarely) a remake of BAD LIEUTENANT, directed by Herzog and starring horse-face Nic Cage.