Sunday 26 April 2009

Nic Cage carries on



As I mentioned in the 'About Me' bit, my brother is a focus puller. The technical name for this is First Assistant Cameraman, and his responsibilities are far wider than making sure the camera is in focus, but that's the name. Anyway, he's just started working on the new Nicolas Cage (equine-faced, as Mark Kermode calls him) film, 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'.

Nicolas Cage's transformation from quirky character actor and serious thespian to cartoon-faced action star is now complete. He's completely abandoned any pretense of anything else and now churns out, under Bruckheimer's wing, big, loud, (literally) explosive films, year in year out. That'll keep him away from the Dukes' slate for now. We're safe.

2 comments:

  1. What did you think of his last go at an adult role-Bringing out the Dead?(Apart from the dire Captain Corelli?Personally,I loved that film,and think it's a seriously underrated part of the Scorsese canon;although I admit I haven't seen it for some time,and the ambience might have helped-I saw it at the Chelsea cinema on 23rd Street,near where oarts of it were shot.I think critics found the mixture of drugs,death and black humour a turn off

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Bringing Out The Dead. You're right that it's underrated, and it seems like a million years ago when Nicolas Cage would take a role like that, a complete downer and a film with no commercial prospects whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete