Tuesday 10 November 2009

Cine Esteli


Some of you may know that I spent a lot of my childhood and teenage years in Nicaragua, and half of that time in the northern mountain town of Esteli. A rural community, there was only one cinema in the main town square, Cine Esteli. I saw everything from RAN to BLUE VELVET here, and it remains an oasis of film in an otherwise difficult and culturally poor area.

The cinema is now in a state of disrepair (bats are nesting in the auditorium!) and I am trying to help the current manager, Eric Membreno, to fix it up and extend its life, programme and audience.

I've started a Facebook page here: Cine Esteli Facebook, and we're hosting a fundraising night at the Dukes with a screening of CINEMA PARADISO on the 29th December. Please do join the group and come along to the screening. We'll be thinking of other ways of helping as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment